Thursday 31 January 2013

Song of the Week - 31/01/13 - Jay-Z & Kanye West - "Ni**as In Paris"

Jay-Z & Kanye West - "Niggas In Paris"

Here's an older track from 2011 from the collaborative album Watch the Throne by Jay-Z and Kanye West. I have never really been a fan of Kanye West but I do enjoy some Jay-Z stuff so this album was a pleasant surprise for me. I was unsure whether this sort of collaboration would work, but the result was a resounding success. This is a genre of music that I perhaps wouldn't listen to that often but one that is great to listen to when in the right mood. 

The album overall is very well put together with some superb tracks but this song is definitely the stand out track of the album. This is a song that always goes down well when played in a club, amongst almost everyone.

With some great lyrics like this from Kanye West...
"Doctors say I'm the illest because I'm suffering from realness,
Got my niggas in Paris, and they going gorillas"


I also particularly like the Will Ferrell samples from Blades of Glory that I find amusing and oddly fits in quite well with the song.

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative!"
 ...meaning that sometimes lyrics don't have to make sense for them to be awesome.

Add some repeated lyrics that stick in your head like "That shit Kray", "I'm suffering from realness" and "Don't let me get in my zone" and you're on to a winner!
 
This is probably one of the best songs of 2011 and one that still gets regular air time and a song I still go back to time to time. Definitely a highlight of 2011.

 


 Spotify link - Jay-Z – Ni**as In Paris

[Sources: Wikipedia, NME, Youtube]

No comments:

Post a Comment